Friday, 30 January 2015

Book Review January - The Broken Man by Josephine Cox

Josephine Cox is not an author I would normally pick, but I received the book as a present from my mother in law.

The main theme is about the consequences of domestic abuse.  It tells the story of Adam, a young boy who had to bear things no little boy should ever see, and also the tale of Anne who was abused by her husband.  Though the theme was about domestic abuse, it was wasn't graphic or gory which I was glad about.  The tale weaved between Anne's story and Adams story which interlinked, and was a fairly easy read.  I was slightly disappointed with the ending of the book and thought it hadn't fully ended the story of Anne and didn't even mention how she would have felt about finding out her husbands childs link to her best friend.  I also found the aforementioned coincidence too far fetched.

Overall it was an OK book.  Not my favourite book of all time, but very readable all the same.  As the first book I have read of hers I don't know if this is the usual type of book to expect from Josephine Cox and I may or may not read another of hers soon
 If I had to rate it I would give 3 out of 5 stars.

Next book to be read is Summer at the Lake by Erica James.

Good Evening from Pickle Land
Love Lesley xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment