Friday, 3 January 2014

52 books in 2014

I love reading.  I have since I was a little girl.  Books are an escape for me.  I feel so good when I've read a good book.  Books have been my friends when I had none.  Books have quenched my thirst for knowledge, and been my comfort on insomnia dark nights.

My love of books have been inherited from my Mum and Dad.  Both were avid readers, who encouraged my brother and I to visit our local library and stock up on books.  My Dad was also a great collector of books and would buy many books over the years from Readers Digest.  Upon his death, I inherited hundreds of books, many of which have been stuck on a book case in my bedroom but not looked at in years.  Upon moving my bedroom furniture around a couple of months ago, I dusted all these unloved and forgotten books and started to look through some of them.  It was then I formulated my goal of 52 books in 2014.  I think setting myself the goal of 52 books or a book a week is achievable.  Especially as it only took me a day to read a book AJ got me for Christmas (Pioneer Woman by Ree Drummond- an excellent read of which I highly recommend for any romantic at heart who dreams of the perfect man and life).

The list below consists of some of the condensed books from my Dads Readers Digest collect and some of the many books I have myself collected over the years,whether paper or Kindle/kobo.   They are in no particular order, just in the order I came across them and wrote them down.  They are as follows:
1. Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan, 2. A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy; 3. The Savage Garden by Mark Mills; 4. The Seventh Scroll by Wilbur Smith; 5. Night of Reunion by Michael Allegretto; 6. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield; 7.The Analyst by John Katzenbach; 8. Days Without Numbers by Robert Goddard; 9.The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon; 10. Thornyhold by Mary Stewart; 11. The awakening and other stories by Kate Chopin; 12. The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier; 13. Men for the Mountains by Sid Marty ; 14. The Cruellest Miles by Gay & Laney Salisbury; 15. The Half life of Hannah by Nick Alexander; 16. Lady Susan by Jane Austen;  17. Not Dreaming of You by Nina Cordoba; 18. Long Time Coming by Edie Claire; 19. Mesmerized by Julia Crane & Talia Jager; 20. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen; 21. I'll Bring You Buttercups by Elizabeth Elgin; 22. Untouched by Melody Grace; 23. Never Forget by Emma Hart; 24.Shoe Strings by Christy Hayes 25. The Wedding Diary by Margaret James; 26. When First they Met by Debbie Macomber; 27. Champagne and Lemondrops by Jean Oram; 28. Invisible by Cecily Anne Patterson; 29-32 seasons of the Moon series by SM Reine; 33. The Perfect Family by Kathryn Shay; 34. Twenty eight and a Half Wishes by Denise Grocery Swank; 35. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen; 36. Out of Time by Monique Martin; 37. The New Girl by Tracie Puckett; 38. The Raie'Chaelia by Melissa Douthett; 39. Almost a Bride by Patricia McLinn; 40. Cross my Heart by Abigail Storm; 41. The Governors Affair by Courtney Milan; 42. Just Breathe by Heather Allen; 43. Dollhouse by Anya Allyn; 44. Everblue by Brenda Pandos; 45.The Importance of Being Ernest by Oscar Wilde; 46. The Colour of Heaven by Julienne McLean; 47. Trouble in Mudbug by Jane Deleon; 48. Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll; 49. Stories For Christmas by Katie Flynn, Dilly Court and Debbie Macomber, 50. Christmas Kismet by Jemma Grey; 51. Queen of the Big Time by Adriana Trigiani and 52. The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan.

I hope I can achieve this and as a little push and incentive to keep up Iam planning to do a Monthly book review post the last day of each month.  First post will (hopefully) be Friday 31st January

Good Day to you from Pickle Land
Hope speak to you very soon
Love Lesley xx

1 comment: