Skip to main content

Book of the Month- Eat, Pray, Love

There has been alot of hype regarding Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, especially as this book has been turned into a movie starring Julia Roberts, so I was keen to find out what all the fuss was about.

To be fair, I did enjoy the book. It is beautifully written and Elizabeth Gilberts descriptions of the places on her discovery journey makes you want to visit the places mentioned. The honest narrative is easy to read and being it was broken down into 108 short(ish) chapters helped alot for me to read it.

I've read a few blogs and articles which say how inspiration the book is and how the writers of these blogs and articles have found it life changing. I wouldn't go so far as that. I'm not inspired to run off the India and Bali (though Italy for me is very tempting) and go live in an Ashram and medicate and do yoga. Her descriptions of her meditations and chants and her spiritual awakening are interesting but at times I felt went on abit too much for my liking . But saying that it didn't distract me from the fact that this book is very commercial and I can understand why this book has been made into a film. I haven't seen the film, so I don't know how true to the book it is, and to tell you the truth, I'm actually not that keen to see it. I've my own pictures of the book in my head.

Elizabeth Gilbert is a very talented writer and I've seen her on TED and I do admire her drive. I look forward to what else she comes up with in the future

There is a follow up this book - called Committed, which I may or not read though as I'm more interesting in reading her other books. We'll see.

Overall, I do recommend this book if you want a book that is abit of biography/travel guide and romance all rolled up in one easy to read book.


I'm currently now reading Encore Valentine by Adriana Trigiani. Review to follow soon.

Good Evening from Pickle Land

Hope to speak to you very soon

Love Lesley xx

Comments

  1. I loved this book. I agree with some of the criticisms of the book, but overall it is a good read. I loved her talk at TED. So inspiring and motivational. Found you through BFS.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday to Me

Its my Birthday.  I am 42 years old.  Wow, how did that happen?????? Is still feel like I'm 21

Happy wedding anniversary

Seven years today I wore this beautiful dress to marry my best friend.  Seven years today I vowed to love and cherish my best friend forever..  We have had many ups and downs over the past seven years but I wouldn't change a thing. 

AJ I love you.  You are my world xx

November round up- Scrapbooking retreats ahoy!!

November has been a strange yet good month. I have been made redundant from my job in local government (my last day at work was Friday 25th - official day of leaving is tomorrow 30th). And though I'm worried about finding another job, I'm definitely looking forward to having some free time (whilst looking for another job) and doing the many things on my list of things to do - like sort out my craft room, Christmas shopping, JYC 2011, a good clear out and doing a little cooking/baking.




Leading up to last Friday was a mix of emotions and though I am not sad to leave my place of work (it feels the right time to leave), I am sad not to be working with some people. But you can not stay in a place just for the people, and I've got to do the right thing for me for once.




However, November has been a really good month on the craft front. I firstly attended the Sarah's Cards Retreat in Warrington (see picture below with two lovely ladies Mandy and Mell) and then this weekend I att…